This experiment has been gearing up in the last few months. First, I was invited to a dive where we would harvest sea urchins in the morning and eat them for lunch. Then I was at the farmer’s market, and saw a woman buying a few of them. I wanted to get one, but she had bought them all. They looked intimidating, curious and dangerous, as the last time I touched one, I had stepped onto one of the creatures while getting out of the water after wind surfing. I had to sit there and pick out the spikes on my own with a tweezer as the life guards would not help me.
A few weeks later, I asked the sales at the fish store if they had any left. She took one out and I hesitated, as I wasn’t sure if I was able to crack one open without hurting myself. She encouraged me to try and took four dollars off, and I couldn’t say “no.” So, she told me to cut the urchin in three places and crack it open.
I pulled out some gloves I use for painting that gave me some protection, then watched some youtube videos and decided to try just hitting it and splitting it into half and opening it. Seemed the most simple method. I did that, it opened easily, but some of the uni had broken and exploded into bits. Next time, I am going to try the cutting method because it should keep the roe more intact.
So, I did it! Something new. I probably won’t make it a habit to buy one as I don’t love uni, but I enjoyed the process. My son and his father both started diving this summer, and I know they will be brining some back to me soon.